Then and Now
On the corner of Main Street and Thirteenth once stood the beautiful large residence of Dr. Charles Girdlestone and his wife, May. The couple, originally from Canada, moved to Riverside around 1900 and shortly thereafter built their home and established a medical practice. The home went through several owners after Charles passed away in the 1940s, then fell into disrepair by the early 1960's.
Main Street by this time had changed from residential to commercial. The once stately home followed the same course and was torn down to make room for an International House of Pancakes.
With time, and changes in downtown, even the restaurant closed and has had different names and owners. Today it is a local favorite, Mr. T's Family Restaurant.